What are rodents?
Rodents like mice and rats live among people near our homes and businesses throughout the country. These pests have developed a close relationship with people, and they know our properties make their lives easier and provide them with easy access to their basic needs.
Rodents are mammals that belong to an order of animals that are known for their gnawing abilities. Rodents have a strong jaw, lack canine teeth, and have sharp front incisors on their top and bottom jaws that grow throughout their life. The reason for their constant gnawing is to prevent their front teeth from overgrowing. The damage rodents cause with their teeth is extensive and expensive to repair and is part of why these pests are so unwanted on our Texas properties.
If you have rodents foraging for food or nesting on your Texas property, they are likely one of the following three species.
- House mice are small oval-shaped rodents with grayish or brown fur on their bodies and lighter-colored fur on their bellies. They have a triangular head, pointed nose, and large ears, and their long skinny tail has a light layer of velvety fur.
- Norway rats have heavy, dense bodies. The fur covering their body is brown, with black hairs scattered throughout. Like the house mouse, the fur on their bellies is lighter in color. The Norway rat has a blunt nose, small ears, and black eyes. Their scaly tail is shorter than their head and body combined.
- Roof rats are thin and agile. Their bodies are covered in dark, well-kept fur. They have a pointed nose, and their scaly tail is longer than the combined length of their head and body. Their small size allows for young roof rats to be confused with adult house mice.
Are rodents dangerous?
Despite the media's portrait of rodents being happy, friendly critters able to sing and dance, rodents like mice and rats are dangerous to have inside our structures. Below are some reasons rodents are dangerous:
- Rodents carry and spread diseases and parasites that make people ill.
- Their chewing habits cause structural damage, lead to fires, and can cause water leaks.
- Rodents contaminate food and surfaces with their excrement and saliva.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
If your property provides rodents with their basic needs, they won't hesitate to take advantage. Rodents have a very good sense of smell and a desire to remain hidden, and our properties often provide them with easy access to many food sources and many areas of shelter.
With food being the biggest attractant to rodents, knowing some of the most common places they like to forage for food, as noted below, is helpful to avoid issues with these problematic critters.
- Trash cans
- Fruit trees
- Bird feeders
- Outdoor eating areas
- Outdoor pet feeding areas
Signs of a rodent problem include:
- Finding their dropping on the floor, bottoms of closets, or in drawers
- Chew marks on boxes, cabinets, or furniture
- Noticing a musty odor in certain areas of your home
- Hearing scratching or running sounds behind walls
- Short circuits
Where will I find rodents?
Rodents can find a way into our homes in a variety of ways:
- Roof rats are adept climbers and often move indoors through spaces they find at the roofline or through chimneys. Trees near our homes often act as a bridge to our homes for roof rats.
- Norway rats aren't great climbers and tend to move inside through spaces they find at ground level like gaps under doors, vents, or cracks in the foundation.
- House mice are quite agile and will move indoors through any space they come across. Their small size means an opening the diameter of a pencil could be responsible for your mouse infestation.
- Once inside, rodents move into dark, quiet spaces that keep them hidden from view. Some of the most common places to find rodents and their nests are the back of cabinets, in attics or crawl spaces, behind wall voids, and in storage areas or areas of clutter.
- Because they're nocturnal, you won't usually see rodents out and about during the day; therefore, knowing the main signs of a rodent infestation is helpful in order to identify an issue sooner rather than later.
How do I get rid of rodents?
When you need to rid your home of rodents, it is best to partner with an experienced, local professional. At Men In Black Pest Control, we want to provide our customers with the highest quality rodent control services that will meet your end goal of maintaining a property void of rodents and other pests. Our professionals will make sure to meet your unique pest control needs through our customized services.
Our dedication is to providing Seabrook and surrounding communities with exceptional pest control solutions. Learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control offerings by giving Men In Black Pest Control a call today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Let us help you live pest-free with our professional pest control services and the following rodent prevention tips:
- Maintain a clean kitchen and regularly remove trash from your home.
- Place all trash bags in outdoor containers with locking lids.
- Remove the garbage from your property weekly.
- Remove excess yard clutter where rodents can hide.
- Cut back shrubs and other landscaping back away from your home's exterior.
- Pick up uneaten pet food each evening before bed.
- Ensure large openings leading into your home, like chimneys, vents, and drains, have appropriate covers over them.
- Place door sweeps on exterior doors and makes sure trim around doors and windows is secure.
- Repair cracks or other openings that develop in your foundation or roofline.